IT Trends that Will Dominate the Industry in 2024
The information technology (IT) industry is constantly evolving and innovating, driven by emerging technologies and changing customer demands. In this blog, we will explore some of the IT trends that are expected to have a significant impact on the industry in 2024, based on the latest research and predictions from various sources.
AI, AI Everywhere…
Artificial intelligence (AI) is already transforming various aspects of the IT industry, such as software development, cloud computing, cybersecurity, and data analytics. However, in 2024, AI will become even more pervasive and ubiquitous as it will be integrated into every device, application, and service. According to Gartner, AI will be the core of the top 10 strategic technology trends for 2024, such as:
- AI Trust, Risk, and Security Management (AI TRiSM): Ensuring the ethical, transparent, and accountable use of AI, as well as mitigating the potential risks and threats posed by AI systems.
- AI-Augmented Development: The use of AI tools and techniques to automate and enhance various aspects of the software development life cycle, such as coding, testing, debugging, and deployment.
- Intelligent Applications: The creation of applications that leverage AI capabilities, such as natural language processing, computer vision, and machine learning, to provide personalized, adaptive, and contextual user experiences.
- Democratized Generative AI: The creation of original and novel content, such as images, videos, music, and text, by using AI models that can generate realistic and diverse outputs from simple inputs.
Edge computing is a form of distributed computing that involves processing and storing data closer to the source or the end user rather than in centralized data centers or cloud servers. This reduces the latency, bandwidth, and cost of data transmission, as well as improves the performance, security, and privacy of the applications. Edge computing is especially relevant for the growing number of IoT and smart devices, as well as the remote work scenarios that generate and consume large amounts of data. According to IDC, the edge computing market is expected to reach $250.6 billion by 2024, and more than 90% of new organizational operating procedures will be deployed on an edge computing network in 2024.
Industry Cloud Platforms
Industry cloud platforms are cloud services that are tailored to the specific needs and requirements of a particular industry, such as healthcare, education, manufacturing, or retail. These platforms provide industry-specific solutions, such as applications, data, analytics, and APIs, that enable the digital transformation and innovation of the industry. According to IDC, industry cloud platforms will be one of the fastest-growing segments of the cloud market, reaching $141 billion by 2024. Industry cloud platforms will also enable the collaboration and integration of different stakeholders, such as customers, suppliers, partners, and regulators, within the industry ecosystem.
Sustainable technology is a broad term that encompasses the use of technology to address the environmental, social, and economic challenges of the world, such as climate change, resource depletion, pollution, inequality, and poverty. Sustainable technology aims to reduce the negative impacts of technology on the environment and society, as well as to enhance the positive impacts of technology on the well-being and prosperity of people and the planet. Some examples of sustainable technology trends are:
- Green IT: This involves the adoption of practices and policies that minimize the energy consumption, carbon footprint, and waste generation of IT systems and devices, such as using renewable energy sources, optimizing the efficiency of data centers, and recycling or reusing electronic components.
- Circular Economy: This involves the design and development of products and services that can be reused, repaired, refurbished, or recycled rather than disposed of, thus extending their life cycle and reducing the need for new resources and materials.
- Social Impact Technology: This involves the use of technology to address the social issues and needs of various communities and groups, such as providing access to education, healthcare, finance, and information, as well as empowering and engaging the marginalized and underrepresented populations.
These are some of the IT trends that will dominate the industry in 2024, according to the latest research and predictions. These trends will shape the future of the IT industry, as well as the society and the economy, by creating new opportunities, challenges, and value propositions. As an IT professional, it is important to stay updated and informed about these trends, as well as to adapt and innovate accordingly to remain competitive and relevant in the market.